The simple classicistic building without a tower had served for almost hundred years when the town was hit by fire that damaged the attic and parish office. During the church renovation, walls were made higher and a massive tower was added to the southern wall to serve as the entrance. The three-nave vaulted space features big galleries over the side naves, which makes the temple one of the biggest Lutheran churches in Slovakia with 1,700 seats. The interior with a classicistic pulpit is dominated by a big late baroque altar with an extension and side sections. The precious organon the western gallery dates back to 1892. audio guide
❶ The pulpit was given to the church by district governor Emerich Pongrácz and his wife in1806. Their coats of arms decorate the pulpit roof structure. audio guide
❷Late baroque altar (6.5 m high) with wood carving decorations and gilded elements. Sculptures of evangelists Matthew and John on the sides of the Crucified Christ (painting), archangel Michael with a devil at his feet and a symbol of God´s eye over the donator´s coat of arms. audio guide
❸ Marble baptismal font from 1935 with a copper cover. audio guide
❹Memorial plaques dedicated to Juraj Janoška, M. M. Hodža, Juraj Tranovský, Vladimír Kuna and the 500th anniversary of the reformation. audio guide
❺ Original crystal chandeliers were too heavy for the vault and had to be replaced by new ones made of Slovak crystal. audio guide
❻ Galleries over side naves and in the western section. audio guide
❼ Added tower with three bells and the main entrance. audio guide
❽ Sandstone sculptures of Juraj Tranovský and M. M. Hodža. audio guide
❾ Old parish office with expositions: Tatrín and The Demands of the Slovak Nation. audio guide
The Library of Juraj Tranovský with precious copies of Cithara sanctorum is the basic element of the new historic library in the old Lutheran parish office. The library consists of more than 2,200 valuable books, printed material and manuscripts. The oldest book dates back to 1592. The library is owned by Tranoscius, one of the oldest publishing houses in Slovakia, which was founded by Lutherans in Liptovský Mikuláš in 1898. It can be used by scientists and researchers.
The archive of the Lutheran congregation contains unique pieces such as beautiful embroidered historic towels, precious paintings and several copies of Cithara sanctorum. The first edition of 1636 contained 412 religious songs; their number grew to 1,300 later. A part of the archive is opened in the old Lutheran parish office.
Reformation ideas of Martin Luther spread also to the region of Liptov in the early 16th century. People in Liptovský Mikuláš were so impressed that almost everybody converted to the Lutheran church. Since the mid 16th century, Lutheran pastors were preaching even at the Church of St. Nicholas, which had been Catholic. Juraj Tranovský, the author of the Lutheran hymnal Cithara sanctorum too. After the church had been returned to the Catholic church in 1680, Lutherans used the church in Paludza, 8 km far, for another hundred years. Since 1785, they have had their own church that was built in today´s historic town district. People restored the choir of Vrbica – Liptovský Mikuláš and focused on active religious work, charity, education and culture. A parish office, a Lutheran school (present-day gallery), the Tranoscius publishing house and a Lutheran church house were built at the church. A Lutheran quarter was created here and witnessed significant events during the era of M.M.Hodža – establishing of the first national cultural society – Tatrín and compiling the first political programme of Slovaks – The Demands of the Slovak Nation. When Juraj Janoška was ordained the first head bishop of the Lutheran church, Liptovský Mikuláš became bishop´s seat. audio guide
Evangelical parish office, Tranovského 6, Liptovský Mikuláš
Available for the public: 1.7. - 31.8.: Mo-Fr: 10:00-12:00, 13:00-17:00 Voluntary admission fees.
Summer organ half-hours: July - August every Tuseday at 16.00
Divine service - every Sunday at 9.00 a.m.
Implemented with the financial support of the Ministry of Transport of the Slovak Republic.