The history of the town has started to be written many centuries ago. The first written document about the town is dated from 1286. Liptovský Mikuláš also takes pride in a number of public figures who were active here. Famous noblemen, skillful craftsmen and traders, intellectuals, artists and also common people left their mark here. Everyone is a part of the town history. The pages of the town chronicle were filled up with the events of their everyday life.
The town takes pride in the rich history as the region of Liptovský Mikuláš was settled in the Bronze Age. The Slavonical settlement was also very significant. The discoveries in the surrounding of the Church of Saint Mikuláš bear witness to it. Before 1200, the foundations of the older chapel and the in-line burial ground were found there. The first written reference to the town springs are dated from 1286. In that time Liptovský Mikuláš is mentioned as a village named according to the patron of the Church of Saint Mikuláš. His portrait is also pictured on the seal and on the crest of the town.
The townlet was given the right to market in the first half of the fourteenth century. In 1424, it got also a privilege to organize the fairs twice a year. In 1443, Pongrác let the Church to be entrenched. Therefore, the value of Liptovský Mikuláš which was a townlet with a small citadel till then was multiplied. The seventeenth century signified an important social and agricultural growth in the evolution of the town. Besides the agriculture, the trade and craft industry were also coming up to the bigger development. The medieval livery companies had played a significant role in the domain of the craft industry.
In Liptovský Mikuláš, there were the sew, smith, locksmith, furriery, jackboot, meat and the miller craft. In 1677, Liptovský Mikuláš became a seat of "župa" and the place of župa´s assemblage and court. In 1713, a famous rebel Juraj Jánošík was judged here. In the eighteenth century, the amount of crafts was encreasing. The trade in the town was mostly in the hands of the Jews. In the eighteenth century, they represented the significant part of the town inhabitants. They dealed in wood, leather, textile, fire-water and wine. The craft industry and partial development of trade affected also the building activity. Local citizens built bigger and more solid houses in the square. They served as shops, storerooms and workshops.
At the end of the eighteenth century, the house called "Župný dom" was built in the middle of the square. The representatives of the gentry and yeomanry took control over the management of "Župný dom". The tanning, wood trade, processing industry and production of linen were mainly developing. The first public library was established in 1829 and the first Slovak theatricals started to perform here in 1830. The cultural association "Tatrín" was created. It was a predecessor of "Matica slovenská". In 1848, the "Requests of Slovak Nation" which was the first political plan of Slovaks were written here, in Liptovský Mikuláš.
The creation of "Košicko-bohumínska railway" in the seventies of the nineteenth century had a big significance for the establishment of the agricultural life. The end of the nineteenth century and the beginning of the twentieth century are connected with the organized movement of workmen. May 1 , 1918 is the memorial day, because the tanners from Liptovský Mikuláš gathered in the house called “Čierny orol“ and came out against the war and for the creation of the common state of Slovaks and Czechs. The period of the World War II is a component of the modern history as well. During two months, there were hard fights because of the area of the town. The war damaged the life stories of it´s inhabitants, particularly the destinies of Jews who were transported out of the town.
After the World War II. Liptovský Mikuláš started to develop as a whole and became an administrative, agricultural, cultural and tourist centre of central Liptov.